- Study Abroad
As a participating member of the “Erasmus + programme for Education and Training (2014 – 2020)”, ENSBA has set up partnerships with 30 European art schools. Furthermore, the École has signed bilateral conventions with a large number of international establishments, located mostly in Asia and the Americas.
Study abroad represents an integral part of the fourth-year curriculum, most commonly undertaken for a period of four months. Students remain enrolled at ENSBA during their stay abroad and are acquitted of their host establishment enrolment fees.
In choosing an establishment abroad, students should take into account their goals and priorities. It is advisable to seek out and speak with faculty and students who have already been on exchange. Pamphlets with information on partner schools are available for consultation at the Office of International Relations.
Students planning on studying abroad must submit their application to the Office of International Relations at the beginning of the calendar year.
To participate in the study abroad programme, students are required to have obtained their UC recherche 1 as well as their third-year diploma, and must be admissible for their 4th year of studies. Students planning on going abroad during the 2nd semester of their 4th year are required to have obtained their UC recherche 2 credit.
Before going abroad, a studies contract is drafted with the student detailing his or her programme of studies at the host establishment. Once back in Paris, the student is asked to return the contract, validated by the host establishment, to the Office of International Relations, and to complete a short questionnaire about his or her experience.
Several study abroad grants are available to students:
• For programmes in Europe, a travel bursary of 1800€ for four months - which includes the component financed by Erasmus+, - is allocated to the student before his or her departure.
Note also that the Franco-German Youth Office (FGYO) offers one scholarship per year for a student intending on studying abroad in Germany.
• For programmes outside of Europe, Colin-Lefranc grants are available for students of French citizenship. These four-month grants are indexed on living costs in the host country. The grant is allocated in its entirety before the student’s departure. Additionally, for international destinations, the École covers the cost of round-trip travel.
• The Regional Council of Ile-de-France offers a grant based on financial need (AMIE). This grant is complementary with the grant allocated by ENSBA.
Grant application forms for study abroad programmes for the school year 2017/2018 must be requested at the Office of International Relations.
The application must be submitted to the Office of International Relations no later than
25 January 2017 at 16:00, final deadline.
- Coming to ENSBA
Studying at ENSBA is available for students of our partner schools. Foreign students are enrolled in the common curriculum and required to take four course units (unités de cours, “UC”), chosen from the general course catalogue, for a total of 30 credits ( download the study programme for exchange students).
Studies at ENSBA revolve round the notion of the studio, - a space where students execute their practical work under the auspices of an established artist, - and visiting students are required to join a studio: see the list of studio professors.
Since courses are taught in French, a working knowledge of the language is recommended. For non-French speaking students, a course in French as a foreign language is compulsory.
In accordance with the conventions signed with partner schools, visiting students are selected and proposed by their school of origin.
A candidacy application must contain:
- The exchange student application form ( to be downloaded)
- A motivation letter specifying the studio that the student wishes to join,
- An art portfolio,
- A resume,
- A copy of the passport,
- An ID photo.
Applications must be transmitted by the school of origin to the Office of International Relations no later than:
- May 1st for first semester exchange
- November 1st for second semester exchange